PDA

View Full Version : Orbit@Home

Toutouf
4th March 2007, 09:36 PM
Homepage :
http://orbit.psi.edu/

Last news :
February 26, 2007
We have finally some news. Good news. We're going to receive a very substantial donation sometime in the next four months, that will allow this project to reach the public beta phase, with support for clients for Linux/Mac OS X/Windows, new work units generated on a daily basis, and a graphical screen saver. Before then, we're going to update the orbit@home website, implementing a donation mechanism and exploring new ways to provide the funding for the project. Your ideas are welcome! One more thing: we're going to re-open for registration by new users. Welcome to the regenerated orbit@home!

Rusty
5th March 2007, 04:09 AM
:woot: Thank you for posting... That is excellent news...

Would you mind keeping us up to date with the whats-whats of this project.?

If that is totally OK by you..

Cheers matey

Toutouf
5th March 2007, 09:09 AM
I know Orbit @ Home is the Boinc part of ORSA Project : http://orsa.sourceforge.net/atwork.html

But my poor english prevents me from giving you a good summary of what it exactly does...

mewbysea
1st June 2008, 12:52 PM
Yes, Orbit@Home (http://orbit.psi.edu/)finally moved to BETA this week! From their boards:
Testing Phase Completed (http://orbit.psi.edu/?q=node/16)

Submitted by tricaric on Wed, 05/28/2008 - 23:51.
With SurveySimulator version 1.31, we believe to have reached a fairly good point in terms of stability and flexibility. Our tests so far show very high success rates on all platforms. So we're going to release production WUs soon. These WUs will require longer times to complete, in the range between several hours to a few days on the average host. The completion time estimates have also been adjusted for better accuracy, often within a factor two from the observed value.

Wu's are about 12hrs, 15 min in length and the deadlines are 2 weeks. Looks like they ran through the first batch pretty quickly...:)
Stats are exported.

Bill
6th June 2008, 12:57 AM
Well they appear to be correct on stability of the application. Work units are completing without error on Windows, Linux and MAC. Only thing missing is a screen saver and since most users either don't use it or try to limit it that is not a show stopper.

Project is open for new users. Is Orbit about ready to be added to the Vault ?

Bill

fractal
6th June 2008, 04:45 AM
It did not have work when I joined the project in March.

It does not have work now "Reason: no work from project".

http://boincstats.com/stats/project_graph.php?pr=orbit says it had about a weeks worth of work lately, and about a weeks worth of work two months ago.

It is definately an interesting project to watch, but no work is no work :(

Bill
8th June 2008, 05:10 AM
Interesting .. As I have had work five out of the last six days. URL below to Stats page on BOINCstats

http://boincstats.com/stats/user_graph.php?pr=orbit&id=1129

Thanks
Bill

fractal
9th June 2008, 01:40 AM
Interesting .. As I have had work five out of the last six days. URL below to Stats page on BOINCstats

http://boincstats.com/stats/user_graph.php?pr=orbit&id=1129

Thanks
Bill
Where are you getting your work from? The graph shows the standard decay typical of people who run multiple day buffers, and the test machine I put on the project has 187 lines of

2008-06-05 21:40:29 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-05 21:41:39 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-05 21:42:49 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-05 21:43:54 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-05 21:44:59 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-05 21:47:19 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-05 21:50:29 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-05 21:54:35 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-05 21:59:00 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-05 23:35:03 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-08 14:08:33 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-08 14:09:48 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-08 14:10:53 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-08 14:11:58 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-08 14:13:03 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-08 14:14:38 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-08 14:17:28 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-08 14:23:38 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-08 14:45:14 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project
2008-06-08 15:03:05 [orbit@home] Reason: no work from project

What value do you have for "Additional work buffer" in your boinc client?

Bill
10th June 2008, 02:40 AM
I have a standing reqeust in for 2 days worth of work on all my machines and I Run multiple projects on most. I have 6 clients requesting work on the project and have received work on three of them.

Thanks
Bill
:)

KAMCOBILL
10th June 2008, 04:22 PM
I've been receiving work most of the time. Only problem that I've seen with running 60+ projects is most of them get cancelled by server. But, have been able to get some WU's finished and credited. OAH doesn't seems to give out as much work units at a time as most of the projects. Mostly getting 1 at a time.

fractal
15th June 2008, 02:29 AM
From what I can see, any work you might be getting is "reissued expires".

http://boincstats.com/charts/chart_uk_orbit_project_new_credits.gif

I still haven't gotten a single wu on the one test machine I put back on the project on the 5th of june.

I will definitely watch the project, but it clearly and demonstratedly does NOT currently have work.

Nekto
15th June 2008, 09:22 PM
http://orbit.psi.edu/?q=node/17
Expect a few waves of about 1 to 2 thousand WUs this coming week.

mewbysea
21st June 2008, 03:06 PM
And hang onto your hats when you get them -- these wu's can be 60-70 hours or longer depending on your CPU.

KAMCOBILL
21st June 2008, 03:33 PM
They are great! Huh?

fractal
21st June 2008, 06:23 PM
Wowzer, yes indeed, I got a wu. 80 hrs on a t4700 c2d and 10 to go (after wieferich finishes its test run on that box, my only fast windows machine).

Bill
24th June 2008, 12:51 AM
Well from the graph above it appears that someone has been getting and completing work either daily or most every day since about 5/28/08. Not quite a month. I have about 1100 credits that were granted today and another 1100 pending at the moment.

Perhaps another review for addition what do you think Fractual ?

Thanks
Bill Freauff

fractal
27th June 2008, 11:44 PM
If you are talking to me, I managed to get some work from the project. The first one finished last week after running 317773.3 seconds (88 hrs) and credit has been "pending" since 20 Jun 2008 1:33:31 UTC. Hopefully the wingman will get to it.

The other two units are about one week into the work (over 100 cpu hours) and 50% done. People over at the orbit@home forums are complaining that the admin is non-responsive and ignoring the concerns of the volunteers. Long running wu's have been canceled in the past and many are concerned that the current batch will be canceled as well. Some are reported to run for long times then crash giving no credit. The current wu's need over 4 gig of hard disc space. Previous ones underestimated the need and errored out. Some think the new estimate is a bit high.

But, as you said .. there is work..

I myself consider the project a bit young, but since it does have work, I can't complain too much..

fractal
6th July 2008, 02:24 AM
If you are talking to me, I managed to get some work from the project. The first one finished last week after running 317773.3 seconds (88 hrs) and credit has been "pending" since 20 Jun 2008 1:33:31 UTC. Hopefully the wingman will get to it.

The other two units are about one week into the work (over 100 cpu hours) and 50% done.
The pending work is still .. pending.

The two new WU's are still in progress, 222 hrs into and 80 hrs to go.

DANG, those are beasts, particularly for an alpha project.

umccullough
6th July 2008, 04:43 AM
I haven't been able to get Orbit WUs for nearly a week now... Perhaps it refuses to run alongside other BOINC projects due to resource share?

Bill
7th July 2008, 01:59 AM
I am currently working on 7 units scattered across the various 11 computers that I have available for DC projects.

Not all have a unit and my current due by dates range from 9/15 to 9/29.

Most of these units are quite large but I have not had a unit fail or be cancelled since 5/31 so they are stable units.

From the Boinstats project stat's users show continous production since the end of May

http://boincstats.com/stats/project_graph.php?pr=orbit

Bill

Al Dente
15th July 2008, 09:17 AM
I put 2 2-core & 3 4-core machines on this and got 16 of the big WUs.

2 errored out at 250 & 275 hours, one reset itself to 0.9% complete at a re-boot after 270 hours (jumped to another 280 to go :fuming:, aborted), the others have all run to completion, but credit is very slow coming through (not very surprising). All in all, not at all bad for an Alpha project. No new work doesn't surprise me - they probably need to analyse what's happened so far before moving on.

This project certainly deserves a place in the Vault, but it needs to move out of alpha status first. If future WUs are going to be this big, they probably need to introduce some sort of trickle credit system.

Just my tuppence-worth.

umccullough
16th July 2008, 01:36 AM
I got one unit on one of my machines when my athlon x2 ran out of work on some other projects. It appears that it may not pull units if it thinks there's not enough resource share?

Bill
19th July 2008, 05:23 AM
Well here is a minor update on the new Orbit project. I see that the project is now coded a BETA level project.

The last work unit that I completed ran 1,703,917.00 CPU Seconds and shows Pending for a Claimed Credit of 3,968.43

BoincStat's project stat's for the project show continous and rising Credit per Day for the overall project the last 30 days. Which is more activiety than some of our current Vault projects.

Let's bring it into the Vault !!!

Bill

Rusty
19th July 2008, 08:20 AM
OK... What other troubles does it have..

umccullough
20th July 2008, 01:36 AM
I dunno, I still haven't gotten more than a single unit on one of my machines. Several of them are attached to it. Of course, they're attached to other projects that don't currently give out work either (in anticipation) so perhaps their resource share logic just refuses to give me work.

fractal
21st July 2008, 06:39 PM
The pending work is still .. pending.

The two new WU's are still in progress, 222 hrs into and 80 hrs to go.

DANG, those are beasts, particularly for an alpha project.
No change here.

Seriously..

The one WU I completed has been pending credit for a month. The other two wu's are still in progress after a full month of crunching (ok, they were suspended for part of it when the machine was needed for other purposes).
I can't tell if there is any work issued since then or if the new work is more reasonable. I'll let you know when/if I get any credit how it looks.

umccullough
21st July 2008, 08:02 PM
Yeah, the one unit I've got now is still chuggin' away (~75% complete I think last i checked)...

These WUs are just a bit difficult to swallow - I hope they're able to reduce the size before long.

Zachariassen
20th May 2010, 03:29 PM
There are some progress over at Orbit@home. They have created an application that actually works (the 1.05-app. have 97% success rate according to Pasquale) and running with real data (we are finally hunting 'earth killers').
But - it's still early days with 'bug fix' and testing of new applications.
They don't have work all the time, but some work is far better than no work :)

Maxwell
20th May 2010, 09:55 PM
There are some progress over at Orbit@home. They have created an application that actually works (the 1.05-app. have 97% success rate according to Pasquale) and running with real data (we are finally hunting 'earth killers').
But - it's still early days with 'bug fix' and testing of new applications.
They don't have work all the time, but some work is far better than no work :)
From my own exerience, I've had 19 go valid, 8 marked invalid, and none error out after significant crunching (errors occur withing 5 seconds). And a whole bunch in pending...

Zachariassen
4th September 2010, 04:43 PM
Finally - Orbit is alive - and kicking :)
The server status says - 674.000 tasks ready to send...
I will quote the message the 'chief' - Pasquale Tricarico - wrote on the Orbit-forum yesterday:
We're creating about 300,000 WUs, the largest batch ever created on orbit@home. We will wait a few days to check how this goes trough, and if all goes fine, there will be several other similar large batches this month.

This is real data, and the results will be presented at a meeting in October, and will be tested on real telescopes in mid-October. We plan to write about this in more detail on the front page soon.

Enjoy!

Rusty
11th September 2010, 11:29 AM
Hows this one flying?

mewbysea
27th September 2010, 11:19 PM
Been producing quite nicely since early September with a promise of 300K units/week, but only for a month or so to evaluate. Darn! Check again in mid-October....--)

10:13
23rd August 2011, 02:57 AM
You know ... this seems like a very nice project. Right up my alley in the type of work they are doing.

However, no current work, nor has there been any recently. From reading the forums they are looking for funding.

That said, they do have a very active forum for a project that has had a chronic lack of work. If they ever get this solidly off the ground, it might be a good one. right now ... nope (and I really hate to give that evaluation .. I LIKE this project!)