PDA

View Full Version : Eon 2

opyrt
1st September 2010, 09:53 AM
Eon is back, and this time as a BOINC project: http://eon.ices.utexas.edu/eon2/

I see they are working on the project as things change there from day to day. As for the work, there aren't that many WUs to get yet and there are some problems to iron out before this project works properly:

Deadline on WUs is one hour after download, making all of them high priority.
Most WUs finish in 2-3 minutes but some take up to half an hour on an i7 and grab 1,9GB RAM. The "big ones" seems to come in groups, so suddenly you have 8 WUs claiming 2GB RAM each, which will cause problems on many computers. I'm also doubtful as to if older computers will manage the one hour deadline on those WUs.
There is no community forum.
There is no way to contact admin.

That being said, I'm sure we'll see a lot of changes for the better the next few days. :)

Rusty
2nd September 2010, 06:13 AM
Thanks Duuuuuudddddddeeeee

Rusty
11th September 2010, 11:29 AM
any news?

DigiK-oz
13th September 2010, 06:02 PM
Exporting stats more frequently now, work is flowing, but had some problems with hew application version. Mainly startup issues I think, and very responsive admins. So far so good.

Rusty
24th September 2010, 11:54 PM
Hows it looking? Some reports from crunchers would be nice

DigiK-oz
25th September 2010, 09:31 AM
Hows it looking? Some reports from crunchers would be nice

I'm running this one on one machine. They are improving the client all the time, recently the progress bar in BOINC was implemented. But, there is no checkpointing yet (with small WU's not really a problem) and although work is flowing, it is not available in huge quantities.

Scoring is still claimed=granted, which would encourage cheaters I'm afraid.

They're working hard on getting the project to mature, but at this point I think it is not ready for the Vault's stamp of approval (yet).

cswchan
25th September 2010, 12:34 PM
I'm running this one on one machine. They are improving the client all the time, recently the progress bar in BOINC was implemented. But, there is no checkpointing yet (with small WU's not really a problem) and although work is flowing, it is not available in huge quantities.

Scoring is still claimed=granted, which would encourage cheaters I'm afraid.

They're working hard on getting the project to mature, but at this point I think it is not ready for the Vault's stamp of approval (yet).

agreed... needs more time to mature and get the bugs out...

opyrt
15th November 2010, 12:42 PM
Deadline on WUs is one hour after download, making all of them high priority.

Most WUs finish in 2-3 minutes but some take up to half an hour on an i7 and grab 1,9GB RAM. The "big ones" seems to come in groups, so suddenly you have 8 WUs claiming 2GB RAM each, which will cause problems on many computers. I'm also doubtful as to if older computers will manage the one hour deadline on those WUs.
There is no community forum.
There is no way to contact admin.

I've been running this project again now. The deadline issue is fixed, the RAM issue is fixed. According to the admins, the insane memory usage was due to a leak, and the WUs should never use more than 100MB. A forum is now in place, and you can reach the admins through there. :)

Beyond
2nd December 2010, 02:44 PM
Not only have they not integrated the old scores into the new as promised, but the current eon app has been running all WUs indefinitely until either BOINC or the machine crashes; in some cases leaving all other projects also failing WUs including GPU apps. I had to restart all my eon boxes to get them totally stable again. What about outlying machines, how to deal with those? This project is definitely not ready for prime time :(

Zachariassen
17th May 2012, 06:22 PM
It's been quiet on this eOn2-topic for a while....(1 1/2 year - and that is 'a while')...
I have tested a few hundred eOn2-WUs these last weeks, and I'm suprised... in a positive way :) No 'errors', no 'invalid' - just 'valid' results. The WUs don't use a lot of RAM anymore (less than 1MB on linux and about 7 MB on windows). It seems to me that this last application (from february) has fixed most of the minor problems that they obviously had... Crunchingtime ? Between 3 and 15 minutes (depends on OS and CPU)... Still - they do have short deadlines.... not 1 h. as it once was - but more like 30h. - a deadline most of us can overcome... (I think there is a scientific reason for this short deadline)...
In my opinion ?
Eon2 is one of those project out there that I can't understand why it's NOT 'vaulted'... yet...

Meadmaker
17th May 2012, 09:30 PM
Perhaps it's time for a poll then?

Rusty
19th May 2012, 02:37 AM
Poll added.

Rusty
19th May 2012, 11:40 PM
Tell all your team mates...

Qazwaplol
20th May 2012, 03:04 PM
Looking good..

On the + side,

Short tasks, even ancient tech will finish a task within 45 minutes
Matching short deadline of 30 hours or so.
Project runs a considerable amount of hardware themselves (teams "UH IT HPC" and "Henkelman Group") so they are not just admins but also clients.
Results are published

On the - side,

2 task per thread limit, so no buffers which means that a hiccup in your connection to the project will cause your hosts to be out of work in a few minutes. (project maintenance, internet down, ...)
Low credit, but thats really a non-issue since everyone has that.

Like Zachariassen mentioned the short tasks/deadline and no buffering have a specific reason (http://theory.cm.utexas.edu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=925#p3315).

Rusty
23rd May 2012, 08:13 AM
Why doesnt this project have a bloody logo.. ahh..

Any photoshop guru wanna whip one up? ha ha ha, I will use the BOINC logo

planetclown
23rd May 2012, 12:21 PM
how bout this "logo" from the project...

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i387/planetclown/eOn.jpg

:p

Beyond
27th May 2012, 01:42 PM
The promised stats import from Eon 1 has not yet happened. Should be easy to do. The admins really should live up to what they promise.

Xaverius
27th May 2012, 09:23 PM
As I remember the point system of eon1 was not entirely fair towards newcomers. So I'm not that sad about not importing the stats.

Rusty
28th May 2012, 10:33 PM
EoN2 has been added.