PDA

View Full Version : theSkyNet

iconized
21st February 2012, 07:07 PM
For starters, I really don't want to propose to add this one. It is a relatively new project though. While browsing the alliance ladder there, I recognised some other well known teams from the Vault. So in fact I would like to ask what others think about this one because to me it seems more like a scam.

Stats and a lot of names seem to be fake. You can't see what the client is actually doing. The spokesperson on their forum is a woman, this is not misogyny but it is not very likely. There are no reports of work progress on their site. Etc.

URL: http://www.theskynet.org/

Rusty
22nd February 2012, 09:35 AM
http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50040

Best part is... It's an Australian project..... w00t

AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE..

Thanks for posting dude..

Meadmaker
22nd February 2012, 02:14 PM
It runs in the background nicely, but is not compatible with DIMES.

iconized
23rd February 2012, 07:11 PM
I have to agree this project might have great potential. Especially if the SKA-grid gets build Down Under. On the other hand, the project is quite beta. I don't know if the team statistics can be parsed, but the figures in the alliance ladders over there are still plagued by bugs. For example some of my credits are not showing in the alliance roster.

The things I don't like:
- The client itself. If you use the standard installer package, a service will be created that runs the client 24/7. If you want to activate more clients, you need to do this manually. The client uses Java so probably, like Dimes, it keeps eating more and more memory overtime and each Java instance starts with almost 500 MB (takes a couple of minutes). (Windows x64)
- You can't see what the client is doing. It might be processing data or it might be benchmarking. You also can't see what kind of data is being processed, there are no progress reports on their website. A question from me on the forum there, resulted in the answer: Look here http://www.theskynet.org/resources/data
- The credit system. You get 1 credit per 15 minutes for being connected. If data is being processed, you get an additional 1 credit per 15 MB. Because you get credit for doing nothing, they have to limit the amount of clients that you are allowed to run. Currently it is 1 client per (hyper threaded) core. To check this, they run the aforementioned benchmark. So in case their is no work the client is wasting my CPU resources that I could use on other projects.

Since I can't determine what the client is actually doing, I started this topic. I might be doing work from third parties and they might get paid for that.

Rusty
23rd February 2012, 11:50 PM
There are a number of threads and posts on the forum that suggest they are focussing on getting the results. It is on their list to create a multi core and GPU, for hardcore crunchers.

This thread was really a shameless ad for the Vault
http://www.theskynet.org/account/forum#/discussion/79/die-hard-crunchers-dc-vault-com

I was hoping to get some extra teams involved in the Vault..

Reading the FAQ. It seems that they may have excluded themselves or possibly.

How can I use all of my computer’s “grunt” to contribute to theSkyNet more

theSkyNet is about lots of computers each doing a little, we’re not about pushing the processors of theSkyNet community too hard, but recognise that some ‘Power Users’ are keen to contribute to process as much data as their machines can handle. In the future we’ll be looking at ways to make this possible without skewing the leader boards and rankings of our standard users.

So, maybe this means 2 set's of stats?

But I will say, it is some time off being added to the Vault.(As much as I want the first Aussie project included.heheh)

Ageotas
29th February 2012, 10:16 AM
Hi guys, my name is Tim and I am one of the Astrophysicists behind theSkyNet. I have made an account here so that I can talk directly to the DC-Vault members and get both your opinions and views on theSkyNet so far, and to hopefully answer any questions you might have about the project. We recognise groups like you not only as power users, but also as veterans who have an unrivalled amount of experience with distributed computing projects like theSkyNet, so your voices mean a lot to us.

...because to me it seems more like a scam.

Stats and a lot of names seem to be fake. You can't see what the client is actually doing. The spokesperson on their forum is a woman, this is not misogyny but it is not very likely. There are no reports of work progress on their site. Etc.

As has been said already, definitely not a scam. In fact, we aim for as much transparency as possible so you guys can see exactly what it is that we do and how you are all contributing. So far the processed data from theSkyNet has been old data from projects that have already been completed through other systems (usually supercomputers). The reason we are running old data is to make sure that theSkyNet is producing scientifically sensible results. There is no point getting you all to process a petabyte of data if the recompilation produces a garbled mess. When we start running new and exciting data, we will let you know. That said, in our recent mailout we did provide some of the coverage images that have been produced so far for you all to see.

Also, Kirsten being a woman shouldn't have any effect on the validity of the project. In fact, Astronomy and Astrophysics probably has the most balanced gender population out of all of the sciences; about 50:50 in most places. While Kirsten is the only female on theSkyNet team at the moment, there are a large number of women who work with us at the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR).

I have to agree this project might have great potential. Especially if the SKA-grid gets build Down Under.

I think so too ;)

On the other hand, the project is quite beta. I don't know if the team statistics can be parsed, but the figures in the alliance ladders over there are still plagued by bugs. For example some of my credits are not showing in the alliance roster.

The things I don't like:
- The client itself. If you use the standard installer package, a service will be created that runs the client 24/7. If you want to activate more clients, you need to do this manually. The client uses Java so probably, like Dimes, it keeps eating more and more memory overtime and each Java instance starts with almost 500 MB (takes a couple of minutes). (Windows x64)
- You can't see what the client is doing. It might be processing data or it might be benchmarking. You also can't see what kind of data is being processed, there are no progress reports on their website. A question from me on the forum there, resulted in the answer: Look here http://www.theskynet.org/resources/data
- The credit system. You get 1 credit per 15 minutes for being connected. If data is being processed, you get an additional 1 credit per 15 MB. Because you get credit for doing nothing, they have to limit the amount of clients that you are allowed to run. Currently it is 1 client per (hyper threaded) core. To check this, they run the aforementioned benchmark. So in case their is no work the client is wasting my CPU resources that I could use on other projects.

Since I can't determine what the client is actually doing, I started this topic. I might be doing work from third parties and they might get paid for that.

The bugs in the ladders are almost all squished now. Rest assured the serverside is recording things perfectly; the bugs are somewhere between the backend and the frontend that displays them.

Believe it or not, the code runs slightly faster on Java than it does on C, and this has been double, triple, and quadruple checked by some of the best programmers we know (and we know some seriously amazing programmers!). Furthermore, we found that we benefit more from having thousands of casual users than a few power users, which is why it has not been optimised for multiple instances and virtualisation. I know this isn't ideal for you guys, but ultimately we need to do what is best for the science.

The benchmarks are very short and happen very infrequently; 99% of the time you will be processing data. The fact that you cannot see what is going on is a result of our strict security measures, and is actually designed to protect you, not to hamper you. This said, we are working on a better GUI (well, a GUI at all, really) so that you can get a better reading on what is happening underneath the hood. Trust me, we are all pretty big geeks, and if we can graph something or compare lists of numbers, we will, and we know that is what you guys want too!

The algorithm for calculating credits is actually a lot more complicated than 15x[time]+15x[mb] (which, interestingly enough, was what we used during the internal beta). You are, however, correct that both time connected and amount uploaded are both factors in the credits calculation.

Also, we are most certainly NOT hiring theSkyNet to external sources for money. The entire project is not for profit and is only used within the scientific community that we have explicitly stated on the site and in all our literature. I cannot stress enough that theSkyNet is not for sale to anyone, and that we are vehemently committed to transparency and honesty with everyone.

There are a number of threads and posts on the forum that suggest they are focussing on getting the results. It is on their list to create a multi core and GPU, for hardcore crunchers.

This thread was really a shameless ad for the Vault
http://www.theskynet.org/account/forum#/discussion/79/die-hard-crunchers-dc-vault-com

I was hoping to get some extra teams involved in the Vault..

Reading the FAQ. It seems that they may have excluded themselves or possibly.

So, maybe this means 2 set's of stats?

But I will say, it is some time off being added to the Vault.(As much as I want the first Aussie project included.heheh)

No, there will only ever be one rubric for assigning statistics, but there will be multiple ways of displaying these statistics so that power users can compare against each other, and casual users can compare against each other.

Please keep in mind that theSkyNet is still a brand new project, attempting distribute computing in a way that has never been done before, and for that we ask for your patience and understanding, and offer in return the chance to be an integral part of something amazing!

I will be checking back as often as I can, so please feel free to ask me anything. I will do my best to answer! (though, some things I cannot talk about for what I hope are obvious reasons :P)

Yours most sincerely,

Tim Young
(AKA Ageotas)
(AKA OptimusTim)

##EDIT##
Woah! Wall of text crits for 9000! Sorry about that :P

Rusty
29th February 2012, 06:49 PM
Tim,

Thank you so much for stopping by... Man... You really made a grand entrance on your first post.. Wowzar.

Meadmaker
29th February 2012, 10:06 PM
I am one of the founding members of this project, and I have to say that a lot of much older projects could learn from the team behind Skynet.

Their openness and interest in feedback from the members is second to none.

Beyond
1st March 2012, 09:12 PM
Sounds like an interesting project. The name has an interesting background:

Skynet may refer to:
Skynet (satellite), a UK military communications system
Skynet (Terminator), the fictional computer network who is the primary antagonist in the Terminator series of films
SkyNET, a 1996 PC game based on The Terminator film series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet

Hopefully we won't be drowned in liquid metal terminators

:ninja: :blast:
because my horse doesn't seem too interested in getting away - :giddyup:

Rusty
2nd March 2012, 10:46 AM
We will just stick with this point
theSkyNet, a distributed computing platform for radio astronomy data produced by the Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder

lol

iconized
2nd March 2012, 06:43 PM
Thank you Ageotas for your explanation. I wish the project all the best and also hope for some improvements of the client. As for the Square Kilometre Array, I would like to see it build in the Netherlands but I expect that the weather conditions over here are not suitable. :D So good luck winning the competition! Btw when can we expect to start processing data from the Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder?

steinrar
4th March 2012, 11:01 PM
Hi
Ageotas, do you think this project is ready to be included in the vault ?. Not to much discussion always about including a project, but more about excluding a project - Don't get me wrong here :bateyes:. I say include those project where we are ahead of Ars (Joke :) ) Project included in the Vault must expect to be hit "hard" I should think. If project is ready for this or not is hard to tell, but one way to find out is to include project in the Vault (If other vault criteria is met). That is if people hosting project are communicating and answer to what us "user" are asking. (Ref Wie which is gone for now as it seems "dead" except but issuing WU). I'm don't know how much work it is involved including/excluding a project into DC-Vault with stats and everything, but I hope I'm not insulting anyone :) . Let users/project admins share their opinions in forum and take it from there. Hopefully more more projects will be added to the Vault, and removed if criteria above is not met :)

DigiK-oz
7th March 2012, 03:06 PM
From what I can see, skynet has no exported statistics yet (?), a must for inclusion in DC-Vault. I already suggested they start exporting stats at their forum.

Ageotas
9th March 2012, 01:00 AM
The option to export stats is a big priority for us. We are all massive stats fans too, and we know that the people who use theSkyNet heavily are going to be the kind of people who want to know the third differential of their contribution that week ;)

As soon as this is available, I will let you guys know. On that note, are there any stats in particular you would like access to? We already have a bunch of metrics that are shortlisted for inclusion, but it would be good to hear from users in case we have missed something glaringly obvious :P

The stats package will also be available as an applet within the dashboard so that you can quickly graph and compare metrics without the need for any actual data fiddling on your behalf, but I am pushing strongly for the raw data to be available too.

Also, yes, there was a lot of inspiration from the Terminator movies. I for one am a big fan ;)
(Yes, even of the Sarah Connor Chronicles! :O)

As for the SKA being in the Netherlands; the honest answer is that your country is too small! The high density cluster that forms the centre of the Australian proposed SKA is larger than the Netherlands entire landmass! Furthermore, in Europe in general there is simply too much RF noise. Overcast weather doesn't affect us anywhere near as much as nearby mobile telephone towers, above ground power transmission cables, or even the unshielded alternators in some cars! So obviously we couldn't put the SKA in the Netherlands, because from what I hear, you guys have an absolutely AMAZING mobile coverage :P

DigiK-oz
9th March 2012, 12:32 PM
Well, the bare minimum for exportable stats I think would be :

For teams:
teamid-team name-total points

For users it would be slightly more complex, as a user can change their team affiliation over time.
userid-user name-teamid-total points

There could therefore be multiple lines per user (the stats for BOINC projects have overlooked this, making it a pain in the ass to produce 100% accurate listings). If a user first joins as a lone user, later joins team a, and then decides to switch to team b, it would be
1-skynet user-NULL-1000
1-skynet user-345-500
1-skynet user-789-3000

Then there's users changing their nickname etc. just make sure the exported stats can handle these situations please

Of course, add anything you like to this framework, like subprojects if any,rewards earned or whatever.

Regards,
DigiK-oz

Ageotas
9th March 2012, 12:55 PM
This is close to what we had already, but it is great to see we are thinking alike. Fortunately each user has a unique identifying number that doesn't change when a user changes their nickname.

The way I am working with exportable stats, it should allow you to define which parameters you want to plot against; this means you should never have to worry about having 100% accurate stat, as all the raw data should be available.

Xaverius
9th March 2012, 03:33 PM
It's probably me but I don't understand the "client". I have to start a HTML-file and then press some buttons and hope I start the client. I now always go to the server and start the applet. I'm just testing here of course. I don't like DC-programs installed as a service because I tend to switch between projects. So a nice GUI would be nice, together with some possibility to influence the client.

Like how many cores or %CPU can it take or pause the client (I also play games).

iconized
9th March 2012, 08:29 PM
As for the SKA being in the Netherlands; the honest answer is that your country is too small! The high density cluster that forms the centre of the Australian proposed SKA is larger than the Netherlands entire landmass! Furthermore, in Europe in general there is simply too much RF noise. Overcast weather doesn't affect us anywhere near as much as nearby mobile telephone towers, above ground power transmission cables, or even the unshielded alternators in some cars! So obviously we couldn't put the SKA in the Netherlands, because from what I hear, you guys have an absolutely AMAZING mobile coverage :P
Well it was a joke. But some questions remain: At what point will we get some real data? Like when will we process data that hasn't been processed before or real data from the ASKAP grid?

iconized
11th March 2012, 09:24 PM
Hmm: http://www.nature.com/news/south-africa-wins-science-panel-s-backing-to-host-ska-telescope-1.10205

Meanwhile also watched this: http://freerangescience.org.au/event/ska-bendigo/
That very nicely explained a lot.

iconized
22nd March 2012, 06:31 PM
SKA fight grows hotter (http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/03/ska-fight-grows-hotter.html)
Shame that it gets politicised.

Rusty
23rd March 2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks iconized

Ageotas
27th March 2012, 05:52 AM
Hi guys!

Well it was a joke. But some questions remain: At what point will we get some real data? Like when will we process data that hasn't been processed before or real data from the ASKAP grid?

We will be doing brand new data as soon as we are confident that the system is producing correct results at a rate that is consistent, and that the erroneous data is able to be automatically identified and re-run without human intervention. We are SUPER close to this, but there is still just under 1% of results that are slightly off that we need to account for.

For what it is worth, while the work we have been doing is old data, the way we have been analysing it is quite often new. Imagine a sheet of paper; you can fold it in half one way and you get a rectangle with one set of dimensions, and when you fold it in half the other way you get a rectangle with entirely different dimensions, and yet the surface area is still exactly one half of the original. Take that analogy to its extremes, and if you fold the paper in just the right way, and enough times, you get a swan (or crane)! So no, the data isn't new, but the way in which we are using theSkyNet to work with the data is new.

SKA fight grows hotter (http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/03/ska-fight-grows-hotter.html)
Shame that it gets politicised.

The political side of things was inevitable, we are trying to focus on what really matters, and that is the science. :)

Xaverius
27th March 2012, 08:34 PM
Last week I went to a lecture about LOFAR, as I understand it LOFAR is to gain knowledge for the South African version of it. Lot's of this lecture I didn't fully understand but it's still interesting. Just getting started in the outer space area here, lot's to learn. :)

iconized
7th May 2012, 08:32 PM
Has been silent again for so long here (the DC-Vault sub fora as whole), so some old news on the SKA project:
http://www.skatelescope.org/news/ska-members-meet-discuss-site-selection/

They set up a small scientific working group to further investigate what site would be best for the SKA grid. It sounds good, it might depoliticise the decision making.
This forum is not a political one but personally I think geopolitical situations should be considered as well in the final decision for the location. It should be more important than money because the project has to succeed.

Anyway I am not familiar with the projected location in South Africa. It's somewhere in the north of SA I think. Is it a national park with wild animals roaming around?
Seriously just imagine being an elephant with the skin of an elephant and there is that scope's pole over there and you have a serious itch.
On the other hand some dingos or kangaroos can also seriously disturb the measurements of a scope in Australia. Some scopes will be build in New Zealand and well, it can get kinda rocky over there.

One thing is for sure, the decision will be a difficult one.

Bill
13th August 2013, 03:19 AM
Looks like they now have a BOINC application side. The Project home page references a move to a new combination Web site supporting BOINC as they move forward. I created a BOINC account and added one Host. Length of work on the first work unit for that older Host was 2 hours.

We will see how things develop the Project is showing stats on BOINCstats that are growing nicely.

Bill
Worldwide TechServices

Rusty
15th August 2013, 02:41 AM
Thats great news

Rusty
27th September 2013, 01:26 AM
Runs great.. Anyone else with feedback.

Miles
27th September 2013, 02:19 AM
I cranked out nearly a million points with the Boinc client. Flawless so far.

Rusty
30th September 2013, 04:06 AM
And why are you not of the team? lol

http://pogs.theskynet.org/pogs/team_display.php?teamid=1950

Miles
30th September 2013, 11:06 PM
I guess all of my points are on the SourceFinder side. Do we really need two teams for this project? I guess we do.

Rusty
1st October 2013, 09:13 PM
I cant seem to find the team on the SourceFinder Side..

Yea, strangely, we need a team For Source and POGS(BOINC)

Beyond
8th October 2013, 01:42 PM
I cant seem to find the team on the SourceFinder Side..

Yea, strangely, we need a team For Source and POGS(BOINC)
When I searched for this project I ended up signing up on the sourcefinder side (who knew?) and then it wouldn't let me join the Ars team. After a little googling I found the pogs site and signed up there and then it let me join the team. Very bizarre setup. Seems to be running OK (actually very well) since trundling over the setup hurdle though. If you're lucky enough to happen to find the pogs site first you wouldn't even see the setup glitches :rolleyes:

Edit: I guess it's a thumbs up here, hopefully they'll simplify (clarify or combine) the setup for the 2 projects.

And hopefully we're not enabling this:

Terminator 3 Skynet Takes Over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wlsd9mljiU

:flamer: :biggroup: :ripper:
:shotgun: :xwtf: :brengun:
:wstupid: :rocket:

:banghead: ___ :chaingun:

:violin:

cswchan
8th October 2013, 11:51 PM
Thumbs up here too... been running it (pogs and Skynet) for a while...

DigiK-oz
18th October 2013, 10:45 AM
Another tumbs up here (for the POGS/BOINC part that is, dunno about the non-BOINC part). Maybe time to add POGS to the Vault? Or set up a poll?

Rusty
19th October 2013, 04:19 AM
Poll added

Saenger
19th October 2013, 10:55 AM
I'm for including the project as well, but I'd like it to be the whole project, not only the BOINC-part (although I'm crunching almost only BOINC). But...</br></br>There's one main obstacle yet, and that is the double teams that exist in their stats, because they disdn't merge teams and alliances, but added the BOINC-teams to the TSN-alliances as new alliances, even if the right ones already existed, and put a "(Pogs)" behind the proper name.</br></br>There's some discussion about this in their fora: </br>Alliance Membership (http://forums.theskynet.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8)</br>Alliances and Teams (http://pogs.theskynet.org/pogs/forum_thread.php?id=261) </br>New Alpha Website Alliances - Not Same As Old Teams? (http://pogs.theskynet.org/pogs/forum_thread.php?id=231)</br></br>Perhaps there could be some good input in this discussion from you here as well.

DigiK-oz
19th October 2013, 02:49 PM
I would suggest only adding the BOINC part to the vault at this moment. Since there is discussion going on about the other part, and the teams in that, and several other things - it might be as while before this is sorted. That part can be added later I think, either as a separate project, or maybe at some point in time both will be seen as one project..stats-wise.

Therefore, I just voted YES to the poll :)

Sellyme
19th October 2013, 05:01 PM
I would suggest only adding the BOINC part to the vault at this moment. Since there is discussion going on about the other part, and the teams in that, and several other things - it might be as while before this is sorted. That part can be added later I think, either as a separate project, or maybe at some point in time both will be seen as one project..stats-wise.

Therefore, I just voted YES to the poll :)

Since the site was revamped, I believe that "the BOINC part" is the entire site - credit, trophies, and teams seem to be copied across whether you're running on the web-app or BOINC. Around 11,000 credits I had returned when it started via the web-app have been credited to my BOINC account.

Saenger
20th October 2013, 12:33 PM
Since the site was revamped, I believe that "the BOINC part" is the entire site - credit, trophies, and teams seem to be copied across whether you're running on the web-app or BOINC. Around 11,000 credits I had returned when it started via the web-app have been credited to my BOINC account.

They are merged on the TSN site, in BOINC only BOINC-credits are counted:

Here's my accounts: BOINC (~190KC) (http://pogs.theskynet.org/pogs/show_user.php?userid=57) and TSN (~250KC) (http://www.theskynet.org/profiles/9146?locale=en)

As for teams: SETI.Germany in BOINC (http://pogs.theskynet.org/pogs/team_display.php?teamid=16) vs. SETI.Germany (Pogs) in TSN (http://www.theskynet.org/alliances/549?locale=en) vs. SETI.Germany in TSN (http://www.theskynet.org/alliances/532?locale=en)

And one quote from an admin (http://forums.theskynet.org/viewtopic.php?p=2883#p2883) over there in the thread about double teams/alliances:We allready do this. So if people want BOINC only stats they can grab them directly from the POGS url same as any BOINC project, or if they are interested in theSkyNet stats they can grab the json files from almost any url on http://www.thekskynet.org. cheers Alex

DigiK-oz
23rd October 2013, 05:30 AM
I would suggest adding the BOINC part only at this moment. Adding two related, but technically very different projects is bound to cause issues : they may have a totally different credit-scheme, where one of them awards more points per unit of work...which is OK, but not for dc-vault, which is ALL about credits.

Looking at the current poll standings, it could be added shortly.

VictordeHolland
23rd October 2013, 07:08 AM
I'm also in favour of adding the BOINC side of SkyNet POG. It is more popular and easier to manage while running multiple projects.

Coleslaw
31st October 2013, 01:20 PM
I am in favor of adding POGS, but to debunk above statements, the SourceFinder project on their main page is not difficult/nor less simple than BOINC to run at all. It is probably easier to DC or BOINC Newbs to run. You have two options. 1. Run the application that runs in the background as a service (and is by default only using 1 core/thread) 2. Log into their website from a browser, Click My Dashboard, then click the link to launch the browser Java client clearly labeled Start theSkyNet. You can launch multiple web clients (basically a popup screen) if you want to utilize more than 1 core/thread. To stop the app, you close the popup. The only confusing thing is if you want to tweak their app that runs as a service. I think you would find tweaking BOINC to be just as confusing or more if you weren't already familiar with it.

Also, the concern with different credit awards based on the work units...how many BOINC projects are already doing this? Simple answer is many. I believe Einstein uses a couple different scoring systems. IIRC some work units from Einstein were set amounts because work units ~same size and other applications were based on system performance. Relatively, points should work out similar, but realistically there are always apps that are better performers. PrimeGrid now also awards bonuses to the less popular apps as an encouragement to run the longer work units rather then the shorter ones on top of the normal CPU vs GPU awards system and these bonuses can change and aren't retroactive. This even happens at WCG. There are statements on how FAAH apps reward less points than CEP2. Though their (theSkyNet) main site merges the points for trophies and such, they do provide stats separately for stats sites and such. You could actually list both. The only real problem I see is how they did teams. Originally you had been attached to 2 teams because they never had the BOINC one with the SourceFinder side. Then when they finally merged the two projects, those whom were at POGS got moved to the Team with (POGS) labeled after it and were removed from the other. This was a bad idea and should be fixed. So, if we add SourceFinder, I just recommend lumping it all together. Otherwise, excluding one or the other would be best. I hope this info helps others going forward.

DigiK-oz
31st October 2013, 09:14 PM
Valid points. I do not really mind adding the total project, but:

- Like you said, there are seperate terams in both projects, which complicates things
- Currently, adding the BOINC part is much easier, simply because the BOINC stats are in a standard format that is already being used for other projects. The overall stats are in a porject-specific JSON format.

Maybe add POGS, and work on a parser for the JSON overall stats while the team issue gets sorted (or we find a way to combine the seperate teams from the JSON format)?

Rusty
7th November 2013, 07:40 PM
I will contact Nano and see if there is something that can be done, in regards to the double stats/users/teams.

Beyond
7th November 2013, 10:04 PM
Maybe add POGS, and work on a parser for the JSON overall stats while the team issue gets sorted (or we find a way to combine the seperate teams from the JSON format)?
Good idea. I'd say add pogs and let the skynet folks sort out combining the teams if they want more users at both parts of the project. From earlier posts it seems like they want to be in the Vault. Let them make it possible to have both sides of the project included if they like.

Coleslaw
8th November 2013, 01:37 AM
For explanation and discussion on the Team/Alliance issue, please go here http://forums.theskynet.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&sid=3068020bd6cdf3992db27a1db9acde38

eckley
12th November 2013, 12:52 AM
Hey Guys,

Its great to see some interest in the project. We're well aware of the problems with the merger of the two alliance systems. I've put up a post on our forums that outlines our current plan.

http://forums.theskynet.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2778

Cheers
Alex
www.theskynet.org (http://www.theskynet.org)
WebMaster

Coleslaw
12th November 2013, 05:06 PM
This is great news. Once the merger happens, it should simplify adding both POGS and Source Finder here instead of just one.

VictordeHolland
19th November 2013, 12:37 PM
That would be great news!

Rusty
26th November 2013, 10:41 PM
Any further news on the merge of stats/users?

Coleslaw
1st December 2013, 07:39 PM
According to this forum post, they haven't merged them yet. However, the teams will get merged in time. I believe they are giving team captains time to get ahold of members to get them to join the POGS team if they haven't already. This will make the transition much easier. Otherwise, some people may be left in limbo.

http://forums.theskynet.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2778

Coleslaw
3rd December 2013, 06:33 PM
FYI: There was an update on the link I posted above indicating that they got the teams merged. I can see from my account that my team got all moved over as well and the (POGS) at the end of our team name has been removed.

Edit: I think they are leaving the points export separate so that sites like BOINCStats can just track the BOINC side of things. You may have to have two separate listings, just focus on one of the two sub projects, or possibly just get the numbers from their main site that merges the points together. I honestly haven't kept up on the stats export side of things. I personally would like the entire project included if possible.

shauge
22nd December 2013, 08:59 AM
I have only done the Boinc side of the project (POGS), but is seems to me as all of my work is automatically included in to TheSkyNet site. I could even log in with my boinc user account. So it seems like they are well merged. The stats on the TheSkyNet site shows only one leaderboard containing stats from both boinc and SourceFinder. It is this stats that should be used by DC-Vault.
The boinc project shows only the boinc side.

Coleslaw
26th March 2014, 12:52 PM
I guess this fixes the issue of having split points/clients.

Dear

Thank you for your continued support of theSkyNet and our project SourceFinder. You are receiving this email because you've processed data for theSkyNet SourceFinder in the past 7 days. This announcement will soon be uploaded to theSkyNet website, but we wanted to contact you first to let you know personally.

Due to continuing issues with Java and the great feedback we’ve been getting for theSkyNet POGS (on BOINC) we've been planning on shifting SourceFinder over to BOINC some time later this year. We had planned for a smooth transition but unfortunately a technical issue has brought SourceFinder processing to a sudden and unexpected halt.

After much discussion here between theSkyNet team we've decided to close down SourceFinder today instead of fixing this issue. We think it's not a good use of resources to concentrate our development work on fixing SourceFinder given the ongoing issues with Java. Instead, we're going to spend that time and effort bringing SourceFinder to BOINC faster than originally planned.

This obviously means there will be a gap in availability for SourceFinder processing but theSkyNet POGS will continue processing (as it has been) with no change. So for those members not already processing data for theSkyNet POGS, take a look and get involved if you’d like.

These technical issues have not affected the results or data gathered so far through SourceFinder, and we will be able to pick up where we left off with BOINC sometime later this year. We'll let you know timeframes as soon as we have them. These issues have also not affected credits or your stats on theSkyNet - if that doesn't appear to be the case for you, please contact us ASAP and we will help you as fast as we can.

Thank you so much for your support of theSkyNet SourceFinder. As our original project it holds a special place in our hearts and we're looking forward to reigniting it as soon as we can. You'll soon find a special trophy in your trophy cabinet to thank you for your support.

For your interest, theSkyNet SourceFinder has been running for a total of 925 days, and in that time 6,387 volunteers using 355,967 clients have donated 39,618,920 computing hours to process a grand total of 319,948,440 MB of data. That was all you – thank you for your contributions!

We also have a few prize packs to send out, and we’ll do a random drawing of everyone that’s helped process on theSkyNet SourceFinder since the start and let you know the winners on theSkyNet website soon.

We're sorry for any inconvenience this might cause, and as always we're so appreciative of everyone that is part of theSkyNet and processes data for any of our projects.

Please feel free to contact us with questions.

TheSkyNet Team

Coleslaw
27th March 2014, 12:48 PM
I emailed Alex back for additional feedback. Here was his responses:

Hey,

The original code for the SourceFinder has no JAVA dependencies so once ported it should just run normally in BOINC no need to worry about silly JAVA installs and version http://forums.theskynet.org/images/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

As to the server setup, i'm not sure which path we'll take. There are Pro's and Con's both with keeping a single BOINC server and with having multiple ones.

Your credits will always be safe. SourceFinder will stay at theSkyNet.org, again nothing is set in stone yet but i believe the new SourceFinder will be known as SourceFinder2 and will start again with new credits.

Alex

Bill
20th April 2017, 02:34 AM
SourceFinder (Duchamp) moved from Beta to Production on 4/19 with notice released in project news.

Bill
5th October 2017, 03:14 AM
Sourcefinder (Duchamp) has gotten Version 4 of a new search app out and it appears to finally be running the way they might want it to.

The WU's are short and if anyone has the clock bandwidth to help knock out a few I am sure that the Admin would appreciate it. I have a small batch downloaded now and will push them ASAP

Bill F
Dallas TX

Coleslaw
5th October 2017, 11:54 AM
Bill, currently SourceFinder is a separate project from POGS but is part of the same group. I have been in discussions with Sam about the pros and cons to having them separate. He is considering the possibility of merging both projects as it makes more sense over all. However, that is still in the air. If you would like to propose SourceFinder to be included anyways, it would probably work better having a new thread as this one had a poll for adding POGS at the time.

Bill
6th October 2017, 02:37 AM
I agree a separate thread and poll would be best. Not sure if we should wait a few more weeks on the new 2nd App that has been created and released. I have pulled some errors on the new Ver #4 and I suspect while it is now actually running it is still not ready for "prime time" and the project with it is Beta would not have enough WU's for a valid challenge.

Thanks
Bill

Coleslaw
6th October 2017, 12:01 PM
I agree. Waiting would be best with the current state of things.

Bill
5th November 2017, 11:08 PM
Well The projects 2nd Application has matured to the point of moving from test data and Beta to Production Status. Message below is from Admin Sam
--------------
SoFia Production Workunits
Greetings Everyone!

I'm pleased to announce that I'm starting production workunits for SoFiA. After the removal of the Wm50 parameter from SoFiA's parameter files, the previous determinism issues disappeared, so I'm ready to begin pushing out production work units.

These work units are the exact same as the Duchamp ones, around 15MB in size. This time, however, we're running 486 different parameter combinations, which is up significantly from Duchamp's 176 parameter combinations. You can expect longer WU times, with a larger amount of credit per WU.

The project scientists are also in the process of re-chopping the DINGO cube in to larger, 100MB pieces that we'll also be running through SoFiA. When these cubelets are available, I will be splitting them in to a set of 5 different runs, with a different parameter set for each run. The first 4 runs will contain 100 of the 486 SoFiA parameters, with the final run making up the remaining 86 parameters.
I'll keep you updated as to when these workunits will be available.

I must also recommend that everyone does NOT update to VirtualBox 5.2 for the time being. I'm currently waiting on BOINC to officially release their VirtualBox 5.2 compatible wrapper versions.

Finally, I'm going to attempt to make time to check the Sourcefinder message boards every day, instead of only on Wednesdays when I'm actually working on Sourcefinder tasks. Hopefully this'll help me be significantly more responsive to any Sourcefinder related issues that crop up over the coming months.

Thank you everyone for being patient with the rather slow progress of the SoFiA beta. I hope to have a fairly steady flow of production work units.

Happy Crunching!

Sam.
1 Nov 2017, 2:43:17 UTC

UPDATE ... it should be noted that the Admin has not yet bumped up WU volumes as of the moment. 200 Active users do not get enough work to keep everyone busy.

Thanks
Bill F

Coleslaw
6th November 2017, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the update Bill. I have been on the internet less the last few weeks due to moving to a new home and using my "office" as the storage/transition room. Makes it hard to do all the DC stuff I normally do. Anyways, I say we still keep a watch and see mentality on this one for a bit to let the dust clear.

Bill
7th November 2017, 03:17 PM
Well I posted a comment on the site forums and Sam t4eh admin posted promptly back that since 7000 WU's only lasted 5 days he would bump the next batch to 10,000. We will wait and watch to see how this works out.

Bill F

Bill
5th March 2018, 02:27 AM
Well the Duchamp Admin has posted an update that his funding has been transferred to another group and while he is being retained the new group has other scientific plans for his use. They will allow him to complete the current SoFia work project and document the results and gracefully close the project down. That said he has announced the current BETA App will stay as it is in BETA status with limited volunteers due to the very high system requirements.

Since no future development will be done DC-Vault inclusion is no longer something that should be considered for the SourceFinder project..

Bill F