PDA

View Full Version : Asteroids@home

Rusty
19th December 2012, 08:57 PM
Asteroids@home (http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/)

About Asteroids@home
Asteroids@home is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in Asteroids@home. You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer.

Asteroids are the most numerous objects in the solar system. So far, hundreds of thousands of asteroids are known, with hundres of new discoveries every day. Altough the total number of known asteroids is large, very little is known about the physical properties of individual objects. For a significant part of the population, only the size of the bodies is known. Other physical parameters (the shape, the rotation period, direction of the rotation axis,...) are known only for hundreds of objects.

Because asteroids have in general irregular shapes and they rotate, the amount of sunlight they scatter towards the observer varies with time. This variation of brightness with time is called a lightcurve. The shape of a lightcurve depends on the shape of asteroid and also on the viewing and illumination geometry. If a sufficient number of lightcurves observed under various geometries is collected, a unique physical model of the asteroid can be reconstucted by the lightcurve inversion method.

The project Asteroids@home was started with the aim to significanly enlarge our knowledge of physical properties of asteroids. The BOINC application uses photometric measurements of asteroids observed by professional big all-sky surveys as well as 'backyard' astronomers. The data is processed using the lightcurve inversion method and a 3D shape model of an asteroid together with the rotation period and the direction of the spin axis are derived.

Because the photometric data from all-sky surveys are typically sparse in time, the rotation period is not directly 'visible' in the data and the huge parameter space has to be scanned to find the best solution. In such cases, the lightcurve inversion is very time-consuming and the distributed computation is the only way how to efficiently deal with photometry of hundres of thousands of asteroids. Moreover, in order to reveal biases in the method and reconstruct the real distribution of physical parameters in the asteroid population, it is necessary to process large data sets of 'synthetic' populations.

Received an email about this project. wodan has contacted Josef Durech (director of the Asteroids@home project at Charles University in Prague) and he is very keen to have the project added.

cswchan
19th December 2012, 10:46 PM
Just joined... downloaded 1 Wu... will let you know in a bit.

wodan
19th December 2012, 11:03 PM
Thank you Rusty for starting this thread.
Yes, it seems as very interesting project. I'll have to admit I have not run the project too long, but so far I always gotten tasks for both linux and windows. (60K task available atm, rather short tasks). The answer from Mr. Josef Durech was that he believes that the project fulfills all requirements:
(The project must:
1 be active
2 accept new members and teams immediately upon registration
3 have parsable team stats
4 have team stats that are updated regularly
* provide a client program which runs on a local PC The project must not:
* be a keylogger or mouseclick counter
* have a maximum number of teams or members)

Sorry to say, I have no idea how to confirm point 3 and 4, but the project is recorded on boincstats (down for the moment) and free-dc as far as I can understand.
PS: I have informed Josef Durech of this thread.

May thee Ninjas come to a wise (and positive;) ) conclusion.
Best regards wodan, (Team Norway).

Rusty
20th December 2012, 12:33 AM
Wodan,

adding projects to the Vault is a community decision.

If bioncstats, free-dc have the stats then the Vault can steal them too.

Thanks for the email mate. Invite your Team Norway mates to join the conversation.

cswchan
20th December 2012, 01:30 PM
Looks like an average 2 - 8 hrs per WU... granted... also running other stuff alongside BOINC. Seems to play well with other projects within BOINC.

Beyond
20th December 2012, 03:07 PM
Just joined the project 10 minutes ago to check it out. Went back to the home page and voila I'm "user of the day". Must not be a lot of users yet. Nice way to start at a project though. I'll report back when I know more. One positive thing I noticed is that they're using a fixed credit system instead of the crazy credit-new. Kudos for that.

wodan
21st December 2012, 01:03 PM
I asked Josef about the difference of asteroids@home and orbit@home, not to important in respect to the requirements but still. I invited him to this thread. Here is the answer:

" I don't know much about the Orbit@home project but the main difference is that Orbit@home concentrates on computing orbits of asteroids in the Solar System, Asteroids@home studies shapes and spins of asteroids with well-known orbits. In order to derive shape and spin for an asteroid from its brightness, the asteroid has to be observed many times over couple of years, so its orbit has to be known. So we do not compute any orbits or orbital evolution, we take this information form the database of minor planets.

Regards

Josef
"

DigiK-oz
21st December 2012, 01:18 PM
Just joined and got some tasks immediately. First thing I always want to know : checkpoints? And yes, the app checkpoints frequently. Stats are available in the regular BOINC XML format.

RHMash
22nd December 2012, 04:06 AM
I saw this one a few months ago when looking for new projects but they only had a Linux app back then. I couldn't run it, but I don't remember seeing any issues back then other than people asking for a windows app and asking about the purpose of the project and comparing it to orbit@home. Testing it on a win7 and server 2008 systems, no issues so far....

cswchan
28th December 2012, 01:21 AM
It's been just over 1 week since I have started running this... seems to play well, still has lots of WUs... although they ran out for a few hours a few days ago, but, came back in no time at all...

Janus7
28th December 2012, 01:47 PM
Been running it for 10 days, so far no problems and WUs are <4hrs. Has someone already made a "Team Ninja" team for this project?

Rusty
28th December 2012, 09:10 PM
Team Ninja created.

Congrats Janus7

Janus7
29th December 2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks. That was my 1st one.

Congrats for your UotD on Leiden Classical.

Beyond
31st December 2012, 01:23 PM
Seems to be working fine after the excess WU pending situation was cleaned up.

fractal
31st December 2012, 10:17 PM
I started running this project almost 6 months ago. It started out pretty rough. Tons of pending work. Unresponsive admins who's only response was to dismiss the feedback.

But that changed a few months ago. The admins started doing something other than ignore the volunteers and started making changes to address the problems.

Finally they released a windows client so the majority of crunchers can crunch.

I can not really recommend this project as it would most likely fall victim to the vault syndrome, but then again I can't say much against it either.

Beyond
8th January 2013, 07:59 AM
After running this for a while on a lot of machines I'd give it an enthusiastic thumbs up, probably the smoothest running project I'm crunching at the moment...

Bozo
9th January 2013, 12:20 AM
I dont follow the Vault all that closely but do tend to read all the new posts at Ninja every night I dont claim to know all the requirements for which projects are included or why some are not. For what it is worth I have been running this for a few days and dont seem to be having any problems whatsoever with it.

cswchan
9th January 2013, 12:40 AM
Website is currently down... should be back up in no time at all though... I agree with most posters regarding how smoothly this project is running... might want a email from a Admin to their Admin to see if they think their project will support the increased participation...

Bozo
9th January 2013, 12:48 AM
Website is currently down...

LOL - should have kept my mouth shut.

about 20 minutes after my post I thought I will go and look to see what my stats are like and I can not connect to main site. checked my event log in boinc and I have a few units that cant connect to the servers.

cswchan
9th January 2013, 01:23 AM
So YOU'RE the one who broke it... :)

Bozo
9th January 2013, 09:14 AM
Looks like it :(

It is still down, my units are still waiting to upload and I am about to run out.

Beyond
10th January 2013, 12:27 AM
It helps to read the news:

"There is going to be server maintenance. Server will be off-line on Monday 13th from about 9 am to 14 pm.

Radim Vančo (Kyong)"

http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum_thread.php?id=24

cswchan
10th January 2013, 02:46 AM
It helps to read the news:

"There is going to be server maintenance. Server will be off-line on Monday 13th from about 9 am to 14 pm.

Radim Vančo (Kyong)"

http://asteroidsathome.net/boinc/forum_thread.php?id=24

Ummm... yesterday was Tues. 08 Jan, 2013...

Beyond
12th January 2013, 04:28 PM
Guess I should read the news more carefully ;)

Bozo
13th January 2013, 12:49 AM
lol :)

oh well at least everything is back working normally and thanks to your post I will not panic if i can not access on Monday :D

edit : um... isn't monday the 14th ?

Bill
14th January 2013, 12:58 AM
I have joined the Project and have created a team to allow my co-team members the window to join the project under our team. So far the project seems responsive and active. Goals sound interesting.

Bill
Admin
Worldwide TechServices

cswchan
14th January 2013, 02:28 AM
lol

oh well at least everything is back working normally and thanks to your post I will not panic if i can not access on Monday

Original post was for 12 Aug., 2012 then edited for 29 Nov., 2012...

Beyond
16th January 2013, 07:25 PM
lol :)

oh well at least everything is back working normally and thanks to your post I will not panic if i can not access on Monday :D

Yep. Hey when I screw up I do it in a big way, none of those measly little mess ups.
BTW, the project is running great...

VictordeHolland
2nd February 2013, 07:16 PM
I can not really recommend this project as it would most likely fall victim to the vault syndrome, but then again I can't say much against it either.
This is what I'm most worried about too. Correlizer has this problem, RNA had this problem in the past (for small WUs), LHC is very popular (also amongst non Vault teams) and doesn't always have work (still more frequent than Lattice tho) . Even well established projects (like Docking) can barely keep up when us (Cows) did our annual Stampede there last year. The combined effort of the teams that participate frequently in the Vault is a couple of times that.

I must admit I haven't tried the project yet, but is there anything the admins can say about the amount of work that the server can handle (for instance max WUs in progress) and work that can be created in the future (is there enough work for the next month/months even if the output let's say doubles?)

Greetings from a small cow,
Victor

Beyond
7th February 2013, 04:17 PM
Many teams are already hitting Asteroids hard as a precursor to its being vaulted. It seems to be holding up well at least so far. Isn't one of the Vault's stated goals to help new projects to get a foothold? I think this one has demonstrated good reliability in general. Maybe a vote?

cswchan
8th February 2013, 12:38 AM
Many teams are already hitting Asteroids hard as a precursor to its being vaulted. It seems to be holding up well at least so far. Isn't one of the Vault's stated goals to help new projects to get a foothold? I think this one has demonstrated good reliability in general. Maybe a vote?

Agreed.

DigiK-oz
8th February 2013, 09:48 AM
Yup. I have been running it for about a month with one system, it has been stable the whole time.

Rusty
9th February 2013, 07:02 AM
Permission from the project is on the list first mates.

cswchan
10th February 2013, 01:15 AM
Voted...

Bill
16th February 2013, 03:05 AM
I have now been running 60+ days and have had no issues with a credit of 11,640. Work has been steady and the work units and application have not had any bugs that I am aware of.

Bill
Worldwide TechServices Team

VictordeHolland
16th February 2013, 10:20 AM
Yesterday I started running Asteroids@home, low RAM usage (<10MB), Fixed credits after validation by wingman. Our statsmaker (http://www.digik-oz.nl) for Asteroids@home for posting on our forum is also working (thanks DigiK). No issues with downloading/uploading work.
So far so good,
Will try it for a few more days and then call in the big cows ;).

Greetings from a small cow, Victor.

Edit:
Asteroid has badges based on chemical elements, awesome!

10K - C (Carbon)
100K - Si (Silicon)
500K - Fe (Iron)
1M - Ni (Nickel)
5M - Co (Cobalt)
10M - Pd (Palladium, a metal similar to Platinum)
50M - Au (Gold)
100M - Ir (Iridium, extremly rare on earth)

http://asteroidsathome.net/img/badges.png

Razor_FX_II
17th February 2013, 04:41 PM
I have had only a positive experience since the inception of the project and agree with the consensus stated in this thread.

Cow_tipping
20th February 2013, 02:34 PM
Been running it a few days. No problems detected so far.
I am in favor of adding this project to the vault.

Rusty
26th February 2013, 06:31 PM
Sorry for the delay...I have been away.

I will check with the admin.

cswchan
17th March 2013, 03:14 AM
Any word on when we might expect this to be added to The Vault Rusty?

Rusty
26th March 2013, 02:09 AM
Sorry mate.. I totally forgot. When it allows me to login I will activate it.

Rusty
27th March 2013, 08:47 PM
I can not connect to the ftp, to upload what I need.

cswchan
27th March 2013, 09:35 PM
Try using http://filezilla-project.org/ I have switched from using the one that came with Windoz...

Rusty
28th March 2013, 01:53 AM
I just use fireftp a firefox addon.

Will have to use a standard BOINC logo... Come on projects, get a logo.

My HDD crapped itself, just got a new one today. Hope I can save some documents on the crapped one.

cswchan
28th March 2013, 03:13 AM
http://soft.giveawayoftheday.com/EASEUS_Data_Recovery_Wizard_Professional_61036/

http://soft.giveawayoftheday.com/Power_Data_Recovery_63638/

cswchan
28th March 2013, 03:20 AM
There's a logo of sorts in their home page...

http://asteroidsathome.net/

Bill
1st April 2013, 11:32 PM
So we have a Logo ... now what do we need to get this done ?

Bill Freauff
Team QualxServ

Rusty
2nd April 2013, 05:02 AM
Sorry guys. My computer crashed, I had to wait for the HDD and reinstall everything.

cswchan
2nd April 2013, 06:05 PM
What category is this going to be put into? Misc., Physical Science?

Rusty
3rd April 2013, 07:52 AM
I was thinking Misc.. Any thoughts?

cswchan
3rd April 2013, 04:46 PM
Was thinking the same thing...

planetclown
3rd April 2013, 04:59 PM
The project Asteroids@home was started with the aim to significanly enlarge our knowledge of physical properties of asteroids.
Based on the projects own description, I'd lean towards physical science. But probably doesn't much matter in the grand scheme of things.

fractal
3rd April 2013, 09:01 PM
Based on the projects own description, I'd lean towards physical science. But probably doesn't much matter in the grand scheme of things.
I agree. On both points ;)

Beyond
4th April 2013, 02:31 AM
I'd think it would be Physical Science, much like Cosmology. Certainly more Physical Science than SETI...
But then it's not the end of the world either (multiple puns intended) :)

Bill
5th April 2013, 01:22 AM
Physical Science seems to be a better fit with its goals and description.

Rusty
5th April 2013, 02:47 AM
OK.. You guys have it.. I was going to flip a coin...

:-)

Bill
5th April 2013, 08:17 PM
Will the project be loaded soon ? I am guessing that you will auto load teams that are active ?

Have a great weekend.