Yes 0 0%
No 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th September 2017, 02:40 AM
[H]ard|OCP - Admin/Mod/Owner
[H]ard|DCerOfTheYear 2014

ODLK

ODLK - https://boinc.progger.info/odlk/
This project is pretty much replacing SAT@home. That project was a math/encryption project. They are pretty much continuing off where SAT left off before going dormant.

Please provide any thoughts, feelings, concerns, praises, etc.. in this thread for discussion.
Old 10th October 2017, 08:30 PM

So far it has ran stable for me. I've done over 600k worth of work units. Anyone else have thoughts on this project?
Old 11th October 2017, 07:12 AM
Dutch Power Cows

Well, if a project site is completely in Russian language, including the forum and project description, I think it will be hard to form an opinion on it.
Old 11th October 2017, 12:03 PM

I've just started viewing it using Chrome. It asks to translate the page for me. Easy peasy.
Old 25th November 2017, 12:40 PM

As posted in the Stop@home thread, we now have a hand full of projects crunching orthogonal diagonal Latin squares. Gerasim, Stop@home, ODLK, ODLK1, and Rakesearch with the possibility of SAT@home returning some day. I sent a PM or two to the admins to find out why they branched off with ODLK1 instead of using the same project. Only guess I have is that Progger may not have the hardware/network backbone to support the growth as it is allegedly on his personal server/service. I will report back when I know more.

Last edited by Coleslaw; 25th November 2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 3rd February 2019, 04:31 AM
Ninja 生徒

Update ?

Coleslaw any updates or opinions ? I have loaded up one system on ODLK and will run a little work.

After this amount of time they have not grown vary large. ODLK has 1125 users with credit, but it looks like only 411 are active. And the active users only have 1070 systems crunching.

Thanks
Bill F
Old 4th February 2019, 12:58 PM

My thoughts? Well, from Formula-BOINC sprints and other challenges, it appears that they have a very hard time with challenges. Their servers are not up to spec to handle a very large push. They require advance notice to "roll with the punches". I personally do not care for the project nor their sister site. However, if others would like to add it then we can.
Old 4th February 2019, 01:00 PM

Poll has been added. It will stay up for 30 days.
Old 5th February 2019, 07:26 AM
Ninja 生徒

Differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleslaw View Post
My thoughts? Well, from Formula-BOINC sprints and other challenges, it appears that they have a very hard time with challenges. Their servers are not up to spec to handle a very large push. They require advance notice to "roll with the punches". I personally do not care for the project nor their sister site. However, if others would like to add it then we can.

I don't see much difference between their two projects and your point above makes me want to ask why have two projects that do not have any power when you might have put your hardware into one and done it right.
Old 6th February 2019, 12:40 AM
Ars Technica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleslaw View Post
In other words DC-Vault inclusion will probably break it?
Old 6th February 2019, 03:11 AM

Beyond - Depends on if any large teams decide to make a push on it. And typically in the past if a project that cannot handle heavy load gets added..there is an initial rush to accumulate position followed by belly aching about how the project cannot sustain challenge loads.... So, yes and no.

Bill, as far as I have gathered... it was a case where they had same work units with different targets assigned. And they claimed that the server wouldn't send the same work unit out twice because it would confuse the server or something along those lines. http://78.26.93.125/latinsquares/for...id=5&postid=38 , https://boinc.multi-pool.info/latins...id=6&postid=15 and https://boinc.progger.info/odlk/foru...45&postid=1138

Quote:
Why are ODLK and ODLK1 not just two sub-projects within a Latin Squares project?
Just because there are two different applications there is no reason to have two projects -see e.g. World Community Grid, or PrimeGrid.

I repeatedly answered this question.
Please read all the messages.

We have reasons for two projects!
The application in the ODLK1 project is not another, it coincides with one of applications of the ODLK project (it has the same name: odlk3@ home), but it processe another area of the original data.
This area in our problem is huge, it will be processed for several years.

The creation of the second project has fully justified itself!

I ask everyone to continue to treat ODLK and ODLK1 projects as two separate projects.
These projects do not interfere with each other and, I think, do not create problems for the crunchers. Everyone is free to choose only one of these projects or none at all.
I have no idea what the true answer is as there (to me) are work arounds and fixes to that problem. They wouldn't come out and directly answer the question. We just kept getting "We know why we cannot..." but they wouldn't explain it to anyone. Their forums in both projects had several people asking and never got straight answers. At least not until the quote message above. Which still doesn't go into a lot of detail on why they cannot get it to work.
Old 6th February 2019, 02:43 PM
Ninja 生徒

Admin choice

The answer is more of a statement why the Admin chose to do it one way rather than the other.

I believe Willy has a signature line about never trying "out stubborn a cat"

Might not make sense to many but it is what it is.

Bill F
Old 17th February 2019, 02:33 PM

And just to continue this madness, they have now opened up yet a third project as well.
Old 19th February 2019, 12:53 AM
Ninja 生徒

Madness

Well I don't feel that it is worth our efforts to include them in the Vault. They have some issues that seem to demonstrate that they are running Hobbies not serious projects.

If any Vault members or teams wish to do work for them to log hours and applications for the purpose of Stat's that is fine. Some of the other numbers projects we currently support are at least professional in their actions.

Bill F
Old 19th March 2019, 01:05 PM

For now ODLK will not be added due to having nobody voting in favor. If anyone would like to revisit in the future, feel free to open up a new thread for discussion.